I recently found an old low power Estes kit in my basement that had fallen into disrepair. Everything was there except one of the three balsa fins and the launch lug. This would normally be an easy fix, but the third fin and the launch lug were nowhere to be found. Determined not to be grounded by these missing parts, I quickly traced the fin planform onto two pieces of cardstock, cut out the new fin, glued the two pieces together for added thickness and strength, and then glued the new surrogate fin to the body tube. Turns out the fin glued on a bit crooked, but this appears to be negligible, and I’m sure worse jobs have flown beautifully. For the launch lug, the only thing I could think of was to cut a segment out of a drinking straw and glue that segment on the body tube. I found two B6-4 motors in the basement and some leftover igniters, so I’m going to try to fly this in a few days. Of course, this is all dependent on the launch controller working (I’ve lost the key and one of the alligator clips broke, which I fixed with a little Elmer’s white glue. Hoping the connection will still work!), the igniters firing, and the years-old motors lighting. If I can get this thing off the pad, I’ll be lucky. Other than that, here’s to hoping for a straight flight, a soft landing, and a motor that doesn’t magnificently cato.
Low power repair project